Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Egg Cups (Mini Quiches...Kinda)

Having never been a big breakfast eater...unless someone else was cooking it for me; I quickly realized that I needed to feed my body the right way when I started this "P90X'ing" stuff!  Without breakfast, by the time the afternoon rolled around and the workout time drew near; I was hungry and out of energy.  Sure, I had eaten lunch, but that didn't seem to matter.  Everything I read about healthy living and taking care of the body said that I needed to eat breakfast.  And a healthy one at that.

But, there is this little hurdle in my way called work.  Which I leave at 5:30 am to get to....So, of course, that has always been the biggest reason for not eating breakfast.

Well, thanks to Jessica (Mastering the Art of Paleo Cooking), I found a honkin' little breakfast treat that is SOOO easy to make and so yummy to eat.

Here's what's cookin:

Egg Cups

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Using olive oil, coat the wells of a 12 muffin tin.  I use the square muffin/brownie tin :~)

Recipe:

9 eggs plus 1/4th cup water blended.  I use my hand mixer for fluffier eggs.

4 slices Turkey Bacon, browned and diced

4 large or 8 smaller mushrooms, coarsely chopped

3 green onions...whites and greens chopped (original recipe calls for 1 tomato, but we preferred the onion)

Salt and Pepper to taste...try it without...these are yummy!

Brown bacon, dice small and distribute into bottom of oiled wells.

Evenly distribute chopped mushrooms and onions into bottom of oiled wells.

Divide egg mixture among all 12 wells (we found that our 1/4 cup measure was about right).

Stir gently to mix ingredients.

Bake at 350 degrees about 20 - 25 minutes, until puffy and sides are pulling away from pan.  Sides and bottoms will be lightly browned.

Transfer to cooling rack until cool to the touch.  Store in ziplocs or tupperware in the fridge til you're ready for them.

We eat these every morning for our "on the go" breakfast, and they are just the right amount of flavor and the right size to start the day off right.  You can make them on a Sunday afternoon and be ready for the week!!

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. We just made another batch of these little breakfast treats, and we added in diced red, yellow, and orange pepper...So, so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete