Saturday, January 22, 2011

P90X Progress Update

So, when I started this blog, I shared that I had also started the P90X workout program.  I am proud to say that after 3 weeks, I am still going strong!!  I have not missed a single workout; and on weekends I continue to workout at home.  It isn't easy, I won't lie.  Most days I come home and I feel like a semi ran me down.  It's all  I can do to make it to 9pm for bed!!

But I will tell you what helps: I am working out with my best friend, Linda; and about 40 other people that I work with.  It is so easy to just jump into my workout clothes and head next door to the empty room with my stuff and off we go!  We continually support each other and because we are all there for the common goal of being healthy and fit; it flies by each afternoon.  It has been the best thing to happen for me in terms of taking time to care for myself.

My other great support is my husband, Dave.  While he isn't a "P90X'er", he is continuing to work out and in this past year, he has lost 97 pounds!!!  It has been a wonderful transformation for him.  Watching him lose weight and gain a greater self esteem and pride for himself has been remarkable.  It is truly inspiring to have him by my side to encourage me every day and to hear him tell me that he is proud of me.  In reality, I am completely proud of him.  Now, we are on our mission together!!

We are committed to this new regimen. We are following our workout routine every day and in addition to that; we are following an entirely healthy but delicious diet.  We have cut out carbs, which is great for Dave who is diabetic.  No rice, pasta, bread, crackers, chips, etc.  Was it hard?  Heck yeah!!  But after this week, I have realized that I really do feel so much better.  We are eating lots of protein and it is easy to find foods that are not only low in fat and carbs, but high in protein, too.  Fish like Tilapia is a staple in our house and it is so versatile.  Anyone can successfully cook this firm, sweet fleshed fish.  We are also eating chicken...chicken breasts, chicken meatballs, chicken sausages...we never knew that it was so low in fat, calories and carbs!!  And we also use ground chicken and turkey in place of ground beef.  Truly, the possibilities are endless...

We are also big veggie lovers.  We grill them, saute them, bake them...you name it.  Nothing is off limits!  And as an alternative to the traditional "lettuce" salads, we have started to use shredded cabbage.  It is a great change of pace, and makes a tasty salad.  Often, we use very little dressing but add a healthy bit of hot sauce to our salads!!

One other important change is that we eat breakfast every day.  Not a big breakfast; we eat an Egg Cup every morning.  These are fantastic little treats that you make ahead of time...like on Sunday...and you have enough for the entire week.  This recipe can be found in an earlier posting. I never used to eat breakfast.  I felt like I was starving all day if I ate breakfast.  But now that I have changed my habits and cut out the carbs, the breakfast piece is totally important.  Don't skip it...make it a habit!

So...Monday is day 20.  We weren't supposed to weigh ourselves this whole time.  But you know what??  I am IMPATIENT!!!!  I can't wait that long for anything.  Heck, I'm the kid at Christmas who used to untape the presents Mom wrapped because I could just not stand it!!  So, yeah.  I weighed myself.  Many times during the past 3 weeks.  And the results?  I have lost 12 pounds.  I'm happy with these results right now.  I am looking forward to measurements, though.  I really want to know how those have changed.

I am inspired.  Not only by the chance to be fit and healthy, but by the realization that it is a possibility.  We certainly are sleeping better.  We certainly aren't starving by any means.  We are working for our future as a healthy, happy couple!!  Hooray for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment